Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Studying Natural Revelation

Yesterday, I was cramming for my final exam in Intro Christian Theology. This class has been challenging for me because of all its complexities — who said what when, how Greek philosophy fits in, all those Latinate terms, etc. It doesn't take long for me to feel like I'm drowning in several millennia worth of discourse, doctrine, and dogma. So, when my cycling through my notes brought me to kinds of divine revelation, I opted to go outside and study natural revelation for a while.
For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of Dr. Lancaster's class, the best explanation I can offer of natural revelation is described in Psalm 19:1-4:
The heavens declare the glory of God;
         And the firmament shows His handiwork.
 Day unto day utters speech,
         And night unto night reveals knowledge.
 There is no speech nor language
         Where their voice is not heard.
 Their line has gone out through all the earth,
         And their words to the end of the world. (NKJV)
 So, out I went to see what experience of divine revelation might be waiting for me. The sun was bright and warm, the sky a brilliant blue, the breeze almost playful. But what I noticed most was how very green it was. In a few places around my apartment complex grass has just sprouted, and some of the trees were unfolding their leaves. The new growth was such an intense green that it seemed almost phosphorescent. This green didn't just look healthy and new; it emanated life and energy. 

I had to force myself back inside eventually and return to my notes on this laptop with its feeble battery. My studying felt more fruitful and interesting, and I didn't panic too much when I faced the exam this morning. A determination on the quality of my essays is pending, but I'm not too worried about that right now. (I know this is a shock to those of you who know how obsessive I can get about grades). That doesn't matter so much right now because I'm still basking in the reflected light and life I absorbed during my natural revelation study session.

Thank you, Professor God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All standard rules on copyrights and abuse apply. My only rules are (1) be interesting and (2) be nice. Posts are moderated so if what you want to say is hostile or off-topic, please save us both time and skip it.

Search This Blog

©2012 Nicole Pickens

All posted content is copyright of the author unless otherwise specified. Comments are considered the intellectual property of that individual.