Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Giving up "X" for Lent

I find this interesting: Pastors debate value of Lenten sacrifices - UMC.org. Growing up, I went to a church that did not observe Lent. I might not have heard of it until college, I think. It struck me as an odd practice, since I didn't see how giving up chocolate, caffeine, or the like makes one closer to God, or more humble and penitent.

Once, someone mentioned that her mother, who is a pastor, teased her about giving up ice cream. She asked her daughter in a mildly ironic tone whether she thought God really cared about that particular eating habit. Her response was, "Shut up, Mom, I'm doin' it for Jesus!"

It seems to me that giving up something one enjoys only makes sense if the time and/or money freed up goes instead to the church or a charity. If anything, this sounds more like a New Year's resolution. I have to agree with the minister who challenged her daughter about ice cream; I don't think God cares about me depriving myself of my favorite treat. I can't imagine caffeine withdrawal to be in the same category as self-sacrifice by crucifixion.

So what is my Lenten sacrifice this year? I'm cutting my time vegging in front of the TV or computer and trying to use that time for more service to my church and reading and reflecting in an effort to become a better person. I hope God sees this as a good implementation of this ritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All standard rules on copyrights and abuse apply. My only rules are (1) be interesting and (2) be nice. Posts are moderated so if what you want to say is hostile or off-topic, please save us both time and skip it.

Search This Blog

©2012 Nicole Pickens

All posted content is copyright of the author unless otherwise specified. Comments are considered the intellectual property of that individual.