Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sometimes it's scary how well marketers do their jobs

Check out this article on packaging design. An excerpt:
It's about sales. Marketers know shoppers can be swayed to buy a product not just because of what's inside the box or bottle, but what's on the outside. That's why package design has become a $1 trillion industry. Even a fraction of a percentage of increased sales can separate a successful selling season from a lousy one. So consumer product giants are adding a splash of summer to packaging.
As a full-time grad student, I have been trying to resist the temptations these marketers present. I have to say many seem to be doing their jobs well because I constantly find myself thinking, "I don't really need that, and if I don't need it I can't afford it."

My background in mass communications has made it a little easier for me to recognize when I'm being influenced by good marketing. And this makes me wonder how much more I would spend without that knowledge. My bank account shudders at the thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All standard rules on copyrights and abuse apply. My only rules are (1) be interesting and (2) be nice. Posts are moderated so if what you want to say is hostile or off-topic, please save us both time and skip it.

Search This Blog

©2012 Nicole Pickens

All posted content is copyright of the author unless otherwise specified. Comments are considered the intellectual property of that individual.