Friday, April 6, 2012

Mental Health and Faith Communities

It has been almost a year since I last posted, but when I read the following I knew it was time to start sharing here again. 

Glen Roseman is a successful entrepreneur who was diagnosed with bipolar and obsessive compulsive disorders 25 years ago. His story, which he shared through the National Alliance on Mental Illness's NAMIFaithNet March newsletter, is remarkable in several ways. 

Glen's symptoms started at age 17. This didn't stop him from earning his college music degree, though. He lived with these health conditions for 10 years before seeking professional help. He writes:
"I will never forget my psychiatrist’s reaction to my condition: She told me I was a miracle. I was one of the few patients she had ever encountered who had never tried to ease the symptoms with drugs, alcohol or sex. I attribute this to my deep faith in God, which carried me through all my years of darkness."
What an amazing testimony to the power of faith and the strength of the human spirit! Unfortunately, other Christians did not always behave as such toward Glen:
"I lost 12 jobs in the first 10 years of marriage due to consequences of my illness. Many of my employers were churches where I worked as a minister of music. Though I possessed all the gifts for this work, this environment often proved unforgiving. I was repeatedly let go by clergy who expressed no desire to understand my disease. I spent years working in places I did not belong."
As leaders and members of faith communities, we have to be on guard against such prejudice against those with mental health conditions. The last place people such as Glen should feel like they don't belong is within churches. It is vital to remember that when Jesus taught that we should love one another, he didn't make exceptions for those we don't understand, or those who might make us uncomfortable.

There are many organizations, including NAMI, that offer guidance for those who want to eliminate the stigma attached to mental illness in faith communities as well as other organizations. Check out the links below for more information.

Related links

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)

Other Organizations 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All standard rules on copyrights and abuse apply. My only rules are (1) be interesting and (2) be nice. Posts are moderated so if what you want to say is hostile or off-topic, please save us both time and skip it.

Search This Blog

©2012 Nicole Pickens

All posted content is copyright of the author unless otherwise specified. Comments are considered the intellectual property of that individual.